WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
International Conference on Renewable Energies in Rural Areas
News from WISIONS posted on February 6th, 2013
- the price developments of solar photovoltaic on the one hand, and oil and diesel on the other, have created a new recognition of - and enthusiasm for - renewable energies in developing countries.
- high subsidies for fossil fuels present a major obstacle to the uptake of renewables in many southern hemisphere countries.
- innovative business models are being developed in the sector of so-called Solar Home Systems (SHS). These models use mobile money as a payment tool and function without any external donor support.
- long-term financing models for renewable energies are a key element for the future development of renewable energies; however, such models do not yet exist.
- building national or even supranational regulatory frameworks for renewables seems to be a crucial driver to up scaling renewable energies in rural areas.