WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
A Biogas Demonstration Unit For Los Pinos, Argentina
News from WISIONS posted on September 3rd, 2018
As in other countries, small rural communities in Argentina have a scarce supply of energy but have the potential to harness high volumes of biomass feedstock from their agricultural and livestock activities for bioenergy generation. In addition to emissions produced by using fossil fuels, waste disposal related to poor waste management practices is an associated environmental challenge.
Recently, the project team successfully carried out the following activities:
- The "Cooperative of Supply of Services and Consumption Los Pinos Ltd." was established to produce, acquire, commercialise, transport and distribute feedstock for biogas production and provide other services for the successful implementation of a biogas demonstration unit (BDU). There was a particular focus on electing local women to occupy key positions on the cooperative’s board.
- The selection and training of personnel to operate, maintain and manage the BDU.
- The design and installation of a 25 kW demonstration biogas plant and associated gas pipeline mini-grid.
- Discussions on waste classification and how households and municipal authorities can properly sort and add value to their waste.
- The acquisition of feedstock for initial biogas production at the BDU, which will come from residues from a pig rearing facility (Lanpu S.A.) and a poultry farm (Por la Huella S.A.).
More general information on this SEPS project is available here: Biogas Demonstration Unit for Sustainable Rural Energy Development in the Humid Pampas of Argentina
Find more photos on our Facebook page.
Practitioner Network Webinar: Grid Interconnection Of Mini-Grids
News from WISIONS posted on July 12th, 2018
Join this webinar to learn about various country-specific case studies from Asia and Africa, and to discuss the potential requirements – policy, technical, and commercial – needed to achieve a relatively seamless interconnection of mini-grids with the main grid.
The presentations will be followed by an interactive question and answer session with the audience.
Ruchi Soni, United Nations Foundation
Register here: Grid Interconnection Of Mini-Grids
Recording Of Our Webinar: “Great Expectations – Productive Uses Of Energy Off The Grid”
News from WISIONS posted on July 9th, 2018
Great expectations abound for the so-called “productive uses of energy”. These uses of energy go well beyond solar lamps and cell phone charging. They aim to fundamentally improve livelihoods for people living beyond the grid by powering computers, agricultural machinery, and more.
Funders increasingly support energy projects and programmes that use energy productively. The assumption is that using energy for productive uses will enhance social and economic development and help reach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The productive uses of energy could certainly help to reach these goals, as many examples attest. However, systematic evidence of these outcomes and impacts is still limited and questions remain:
Which complementary services are necessary to establish productive uses? Do productive uses of energy contribute to social and economic development? Why do many energy projects fall short to establish productive activities? Is there a tipping point for the amount of energy that will have the greatest impact? Which “productive” activities should be supported, and who will benefit?
We have given an overview of the current state of evidence on productive uses of energy and learned about pitfalls and successes along the way to improving livelihoods across the Global South.
Watch the recording here.
Download the presentations here: WISIONS Webinar Great Expectations All SlidesWatch all previous webinars here: WISIONS Webinar Series