WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Join The Hydro Empowerment Network's Side Event At IOREC 2018 In Singapore
News from WISIONS posted on October 25th, 2018
The event is entitled Accelerating Financially Viable Hydro Mini-Grids: A Closer Look at Small-Scale Hydropower in S/SE Asia and will take place on 1st November from 12:45 until 14:00 at Level 4 of the Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Singapore.
Panelists at this event will be:
- Dr. Binu Parthan – principal at Sustainable Energy Associates (SEA), a global consulting and advisory company, with over 20 years of professional experience in financing, policy and technology aspects of clean energy and climate change
- Bir Bahadur Ghale – founder of Hydro Energy Concern Pvt. Ltd., with more than 25 years of experience in the micro/mini hydropower sector
- Dipti Vaghela – Network Facilitator and Manager of the Hydro Empowerment Network
- Bikash Pandey – Director of Clean Energy at Winrock International
- Kapila Subasinghe – Vice President of Specialized Project Lending and the Head of Consulting at DFCC Bank, Sri Lanka
- Adrian Banie Lasimbang – senator for the national government of Malaysia, representing the state of Sabah
- Tri Mumpuni – Executive director of the People Centered Business and Economic Institute (IBEKA)
- Rana Ghoneim – Chief of the Energy Systems and Infrastructure Division at the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Gerhard Fischer, who has over 35 years of professional experience in the development of hydropower
A Biogas Demonstration Unit For Los Pinos, Argentina
News from WISIONS posted on September 3rd, 2018
As in other countries, small rural communities in Argentina have a scarce supply of energy but have the potential to harness high volumes of biomass feedstock from their agricultural and livestock activities for bioenergy generation. In addition to emissions produced by using fossil fuels, waste disposal related to poor waste management practices is an associated environmental challenge.
Recently, the project team successfully carried out the following activities:
- The "Cooperative of Supply of Services and Consumption Los Pinos Ltd." was established to produce, acquire, commercialise, transport and distribute feedstock for biogas production and provide other services for the successful implementation of a biogas demonstration unit (BDU). There was a particular focus on electing local women to occupy key positions on the cooperative’s board.
- The selection and training of personnel to operate, maintain and manage the BDU.
- The design and installation of a 25 kW demonstration biogas plant and associated gas pipeline mini-grid.
- Discussions on waste classification and how households and municipal authorities can properly sort and add value to their waste.
- The acquisition of feedstock for initial biogas production at the BDU, which will come from residues from a pig rearing facility (Lanpu S.A.) and a poultry farm (Por la Huella S.A.).
More general information on this SEPS project is available here: Biogas Demonstration Unit for Sustainable Rural Energy Development in the Humid Pampas of Argentina
Find more photos on our Facebook page.
Practitioner Network Webinar: Grid Interconnection Of Mini-Grids
News from WISIONS posted on July 12th, 2018
Join this webinar to learn about various country-specific case studies from Asia and Africa, and to discuss the potential requirements – policy, technical, and commercial – needed to achieve a relatively seamless interconnection of mini-grids with the main grid.
The presentations will be followed by an interactive question and answer session with the audience.
Ruchi Soni, United Nations Foundation
Register here: Grid Interconnection Of Mini-Grids