WISIONS of Sustainability
Our mission is to empower individuals and communities to transform the production and use of energy so that it effectively enables sustainable development. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Join The Hydro Empowerment Network's Side Event At IOREC 2018 In Singapore
News from WISIONS posted on October 25th, 2018
The event is entitled Accelerating Financially Viable Hydro Mini-Grids: A Closer Look at Small-Scale Hydropower in S/SE Asia and will take place on 1st November from 12:45 until 14:00 at Level 4 of the Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Singapore.
Panelists at this event will be:
- Dr. Binu Parthan – principal at Sustainable Energy Associates (SEA), a global consulting and advisory company, with over 20 years of professional experience in financing, policy and technology aspects of clean energy and climate change
- Bir Bahadur Ghale – founder of Hydro Energy Concern Pvt. Ltd., with more than 25 years of experience in the micro/mini hydropower sector
- Dipti Vaghela – Network Facilitator and Manager of the Hydro Empowerment Network
- Bikash Pandey – Director of Clean Energy at Winrock International
- Kapila Subasinghe – Vice President of Specialized Project Lending and the Head of Consulting at DFCC Bank, Sri Lanka
- Adrian Banie Lasimbang – senator for the national government of Malaysia, representing the state of Sabah
- Tri Mumpuni – Executive director of the People Centered Business and Economic Institute (IBEKA)
- Rana Ghoneim – Chief of the Energy Systems and Infrastructure Division at the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Gerhard Fischer, who has over 35 years of professional experience in the development of hydropower
Meet the WISIONS Team at the IOREC Conference in Nairobi, Kenya
News from WISIONS posted on September 26th, 2016
IOREC is the global platform for sharing experiences and best practices about design and implementation of enabling policies, tailored financing schemes, innovative business models and technology applications for stand-alone and mini-grid systems. The first edition of IOREC was organised in Accra, Ghana in 2012 and the second in Manila, Philippines, in 2014.
The 2016 conference will take place back-to-back with the SEED Africa Symposium (28 - 29 September), an international forum to stimulate growth of social and eco-entrepreneurship in Africa.
In parallel with the Conference, ARE will organise an exhibition to give the private sector an opportunity to showcase products/projects, and offer participants networking opportunities. We especially encourage the ARE members to participate, present its products and projects and showcase the technologies and know-how at the forefront of off-grid renewables.
International Conference on Renewable Energies in Rural Areas
News from WISIONS posted on February 6th, 2013
- the price developments of solar photovoltaic on the one hand, and oil and diesel on the other, have created a new recognition of - and enthusiasm for - renewable energies in developing countries.
- high subsidies for fossil fuels present a major obstacle to the uptake of renewables in many southern hemisphere countries.
- innovative business models are being developed in the sector of so-called Solar Home Systems (SHS). These models use mobile money as a payment tool and function without any external donor support.
- long-term financing models for renewable energies are a key element for the future development of renewable energies; however, such models do not yet exist.
- building national or even supranational regulatory frameworks for renewables seems to be a crucial driver to up scaling renewable energies in rural areas.