WISIONS of Sustainability
The main objective of WISIONS is to make clean energy a default solution for basic energy needs in developing regions, by helping local partners to identify successes and bring them to scale through regional networks, marketing and demonstration. Read more about WISIONS activities, goals and background.
Upscaling Strategy: Biogas Systems in Guatemala
News from WISIONS posted on July 6th, 2015
Below are some of the aspects that have been realised during the upscaling phase:
- Alterna created an integrated communication plan to demonstrate to relevant stakeholders (i.e. potential NGOs, funders, local governments, etc.), which includes a biodigester outreach program in which Alterna participates in events and fairs, increasing its presence as an alternative energy option
- As a result, new partner organisations to provide biodigesters to more users could be found (CEIPA, FEDEPMA, ACGJ, COPROLECHE, CHIVALAC)
- Together with financing specialists, Alterna created upscaling and financing plans with the partner organisations by using insights gained from the initial project phase
- Working plans with banks, microfinance institutions etc. have been prepared to finance biodigester expansion in Guatemala
- By systemising information processes and accumulating know-how and lessons learned, Alterna has set up a detailed catalogue for designing the best suited technical, economic and financial solution for implementing a biodigester
- Since mid 2014, Alterna and Viogaz S.A., an organisation originally from Costa Rica, are forming a social venture and working as strategic allies. They are the first socially and environmentally responsible company specializing in biodigestion technology, biogas, and bioslurry in Guatemala
SEPS Project – Biomass Gasification in Nepal
News from WISIONS posted on June 17th, 2015
WINROCK International is implementing this project to pilot biomass gasification for rural electrification by installing an 11 kW gasification unit. At least 500 liters of kerosene and 1000 liters of diesel shall be replaced annually by the new technology, resulting in enhanced livelihood and energy for lighting and other productive end-use applications.
As of June 2015, the transmission and distribution system, including a power house holding the gasification system, are successfully installed. On-site operators and managers have received intensive training on how to use and maintain the facilities.
However, a few adjustments had to be made to the scheduled project implementation. As the formerly projected project site (Tanahun district) recently got electrified by the national grid, a new location in Nepal’s Dang district was selected after a feasibility study. Furthermore, the monsoon season made for landslides and floods along the roads, hindering project activities. As a result, some capacity building activities and information collection for future productive end uses will now be carried out over the course of the next months, extending the overall project period until the end of 2015.
The Second Annual UN Sustainable Energy for All Forum
News from WISIONS posted on June 3rd, 2015
The Second SE4All Forum addressed the overarching theme of "Financing Sustainable Energy for All", and included the launch of a new Global SE4All Commitment Platform and the first Global Energy Ministerial Dialogue at the UN.
More than 2500 participants attended the forum, collaborating in a diverse programme structured in line with these following four objectives: networking and outreach activities; parallel multi-stakeholder sessions; the Global Energy Ministerial Dialogue; and a closing session focusing on actions and commitments.
During the last session of the conference, more than 80 high-level representatives from energy ministries, business, civil society, multilateral agencies and international organisations, including the WISIONS initiative, outlined their leadership and action commitments aimed at achieving the SE4All objectives.
Full coverage of the whole programme and activities is available online at: Highlights of the SE4All Forum.