When? Monday, October 03rd, 14:00 hs (UTC-3) Where? Predio Ferrocarril de Los Pinos, Balcarce (Argentina) The inauguration of the Biogas…
One of our recent SEPS projects aims to tackle the issues of rural energy scarcity, high volumes of biomass feedstock and problems associated with waste disposal by installing an anaerobic biodigester in the region of Los Pinos, Balcarce, Argentina.
As in other countries, small rural communities in Argentina have a scarce supply of energy but have the potential to harness high volumes of biomass feedstock from their agricultural and livestock activities for bioenergy generation. In addition to emissions produced by using fossil fuels, waste disposal related to poor waste management practices is an associated environmental challenge.
Recently, the project team successfully carried out the following activities:
- The “Cooperative of Supply of Services and Consumption Los Pinos Ltd.” was established to produce, acquire, commercialise, transport and distribute feedstock for biogas production and provide other services for the successful implementation of a biogas demonstration unit (BDU). There was a particular focus on electing local women to occupy key positions on the cooperative’s board.
- The selection and training of personnel to operate, maintain and manage the BDU.
- The design and installation of a 25 kW demonstration biogas plant and associated gas pipeline mini-grid.
- Discussions on waste classification and how households and municipal authorities can properly sort and add value to their waste.
- The acquisition of feedstock for initial biogas production at the BDU, which will come from residues from a pig rearing facility (Lanpu S.A.) and a poultry farm (Por la Huella S.A.).
More general information on this SEPS project is available here: Biogas Demonstration Unit for Sustainable Rural Energy Development in the Humid Pampas of Argentina
Find more photos on our Facebook page.