We invited more than 20 students and young researchers from different disciplines to Kathmandu, Nepal and took a deep dive into the methods and concepts of transdisciplinary research. Here, participants share their experinces.
In India, evidence shows that villagers often choose to adopt a connection to the grid. Interconnection of the micro-grids with the national grid can offer local people a more reliable electricity supply, can ensure the sustainability of micro-generation systems and may provide an opportunity for operators or the local community to increase revenue by selling surplus electricity to the utility company.
WISIONS’ project partners Ashden India Renewable Energy Collective (AIREC) have completed their activities, which started in October 2015. These included:
- Successful awareness-raising activities within the communities
- The technical assessment of an existing micro hydro plant
- The design and supply of a 5 kW solar PV power plant
- Various civil works (renovation of micro hydro plant, installation/connection of solar PV power plant)
- The design and supply of an intelligent circuit controller system (managing the available electricity)
- The connection to a 415 V Main Board to support grid connectivity
This is the first project of its kind in India (integrating a very small hydro project with a) solar technologies and b) the national grid). The successful demonstration of this system will facilitate the replication of such plants in other states in India.