In this project, Green Empowerment and Tonibung seek to improve the socioeconomic and environmental well being of the villages of Pongobonon, Lokogungan and Kalangaan in Malaysia.
In this project Green Empowerment and Tonibung seek to improve the socioeconomic and environmental wellbeing in villages of the Ulu Papar rainforest region in Malaysia. The preservation of the Ulu Papar rainforest is critical not only to the survival of the local Dusun culture, but also to the environmental health of the region. The Borneo rainforest sequesters vast stores of carbon and biodiversity, yet it faces continual pressure from expanding agricultural, logging, oil palm plantations, mega dam projects and mining and other extraction industries. Residents are also confronted by reduced water availability, soil degradation and other pressures on their natural resources caused by climate change. The aim of the project is to provide the three villages of Pongobonon, Lokogungan and Kalangaan with access to clean water, renewable electricity and income generation opportunities, doing so in a manner that will protect the villages' natural and cultural resources . The project activities include:
- Constructing three micro-hydro power systems to provide electricity for 500 people living in 50 extended family households
- Building pipe gravity and water filtration systems for the three villages
- Strengthening cooperatives and establishing finance mechanisms for small-scale agricultural processing
- Conducting training in systems operation, maintenance and administration
- Developing watershed protection plans for each village to preserve 2231 hectares of tropical rainforest
To expand the knowledge base among technically sound, but managerially and financially weak, MHPs to ensure their sustainable commercial operation
This project seeks to develop an open source load management system for community-based renewable energy systems.
This knowledge exchange activity aims to address the technical gaps in organisations in Malaysia and the Philippines by providing them with the skills to install and operate biogas digester systems efficiently and affordably.